Saturday 9 July 2016

Nostalgic Review: Ghostbusters (1984)

I got introduced late to Ghostbusters. I think it was either the iconic theme song I heard first, or watching the enjoyable animated TV series.

What I do remember is that I saw the sequel before the original.

I remembered the main parts of the film. But there were plenty of small parts that I have either completely forgotten, or have only discovered now.

The majority of the film stills works for me. Things such as the build-up to seeing the first ghost is well developed, handled and executed. The introduction of our main characters in the memorable outfits is a great scene, that definitely gave me goosebumps. There are also some scenes that I am amazed got approval with it having a PG rating. However back in the 80's, stuff like that would occasionally seep through. Nowadays, that would never happen. I like stuff like this, that make me remember about those rebellious decades that made films great to watch. However, there are some scenes that feel a bit dated, mainly in some scenes regarding the performances and style of comedy. Thankfully, you don't see it that often enough to down-grade the overall enjoyment.

Speaking of performances, Bill Murray's brilliant as Peter Venkman, and easily holds up. His comedic style and timing is spot-on, and his character has such intrigue.
His screen partnership with Dan Aykroyd and the late great Harold Ramis is something special. Each of their characters personalities perfectly fits the tone, and you do feel that they have been working together for decades.
Sigourney Weaver's understated and sexy performance gives us a nice variety and pretty much taking the role of the audience to eventually makes us believe in ghosts and the occult in general. As for Rick Moranis' character of Louis Tully, it is nice little bit of comedic relief. It is also nice to see Moranis again. Like many, I really hope we see him again. Annie Potts as the receptionist with the smart mouth has some nice scene-stealing moments. Another role that does not get mentioned enough is William Atherton as the hilariously straight and annoying EPA inspector Walter Peck.

The writing is probably its strongest positive. Comedies these days just don't get writing like this anymore. With a silly premise, the writing seemed to give it some legs and a much more believable feel to it.
While comedy being the main theme of the film, there are some genuinely scary moments, especially in the second half of the film.

I know so many people see this as one of the best films of all-time. For me, its fun and solid watch, nothing more. It's still enjoyable now. But I still don't put in as high regard as many other people do.

Even with that in mind, I am still as nervous as everyone else is with the upcoming re-make that looks doomed to fail. However, I will still go in with an open mind.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment