Monday 5 November 2018

Review: Die Tomorrow

There was only one reason I wanted to check this Thailand drama out, and that was the casting of Chutimon Chuengcharoensukying.

After seeing her in the incredible Bad Genius last year, the Thai model-come-actorcreally shown in one of my films last year. So I felt intrigued to what she would do next.

I was disappointed to discover when watching it that her character is only in a prologue segment.
So after an early disappointment, I came into with a different approach. Early on, you can tell that you are in for a depressing experience with death being the theme of the film.

However, I still felt mildly intrigued by it with the structure involving a series of shorts covering this topic.
While it is obviously a bit of a downbeat tone, it shows death in many different ways that I admired.

Each short story had a fair amount of emotional impact and most of them worked rather well.

However, I think it could've been flowed better at times with swifter cuts to maybe the garden the emotional blow.

On the whole I admired it more than anything else. The overall product didn't quite work for me. But there was enough strong moments that made me see the potential in a film with these particular themes.

I just hope that the director now makes a sequel called 'Birth Yesterday' and that it ends up being the happiest film of all-time.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment