Saturday 10 November 2018

Review: Sauvage

This current Leeds Film Festival has seen me witness so many different types of genres and there's few genres that I have yet to see. Cue a Franchise gay romantic drama.

What I noticed early on was a fair amount of shocking and graphic content that introduced me to a world that I usually try and avoid.

The story moved along at a gentle pace and I remainded intrigued as to where this was going.
But the longer the film went, the more frustrated and uninterested I was getting. The main character was becoming very unsympathetic and became someone that I was constantly getting disappointed by.
The decisions made by some of the central characters just made me think "Why should I be interested in these people if they're gonna keep doing the same mistakes in their lives?"

That being said, there was still aspects that I most definitely noticed the hard work being put into this.
Felix Maritaud was very impressive in the leading role. I may not feel much for his character, but I cannot criticise the performance as he made the character that was intended. Maritaud was committed and had a very strong screen presence.

The cinematography by Jacques Girauld has to be commended as it was very well shot. The minor shaky-cam gave it much a grounded and realistic look to it.

In the end, I think I've said enough negatives to prove that this was a hard one to get into. While it is well made, has strong performances and shocking at times brutal content, there is very little to get invested in.

The main character can feel sympathetic at times. But on the whole, he just felt like someone that I could not connect with.
The world we're transported to is not a pleasant one. While insightful, it wasn't one that had me wanting more.
Plus, the story has very little momentum and felt like a drag more than anything else.

There is probably an audience for this type of story. But this wasn't for me. But the craft of the film did plenty to make me appreciate it and give it an acceptable rating

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment