Monday 12 November 2018

Review: Loveling


Here is another festival film that I went in knowing nothing.

Early on, I noticed I would be seeing a Brazilian film and we would be watching a family. Traditionally when a film about a family works, it can be gold. Watching a family develop can be such rich content as it can appeal to so many demographics.

In this particular drama, there were already scenes that had me laughing, invested and just enjoying how this family works.
I liked the way the story moved along and while there was nothing too amazing happening on screen, the grounded realism of the plot gave it a noticeable sweetness and affection.

Easily the best part of this film is the performance by Karine Teles. She plays the mother and is the central character in this story, and does it brilliantly. You notice that natural motherly instinct throughout and her character can break your heart, especially at the end where her character is at her most motherly.
The rest of the performances were pretty solid. However, I would have liked more content from Otavio Muller's father character who I felt was under-used.

To be honest, there wasn't much else that was exceptional. But certainly, none of it was bad.
It was well shott and the general look of it felt like I was in Brazil. It's just hard to talk about in depth as all of it pretty self-explanatory and none of it felt like a stand-out.

I found this to be a rather enjoyable drama. The family dynamic is great to watch, Teles was a fantastic lead and it was fun seeing all the trials and tribulations take place of a very engaging group of people.
There's a lot of positive energy throughout and enough laughs along the way to make this a memorable watch.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment