Friday 11 November 2022

Review: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

This was never going to be an easy installment for the MCU.

With the untimely passing of Chadwick Boseman, plans did have to change for of the Black Panther character. One thing is for sure, this was going to be emotional.

It's obvious that there was going to be tributes for Boseman in this story. But it seemed grief and healing would be the main theme for the story.

It was touching and heartfelt and the opening was extremely fitting. However, I know this is a film where it almost feels immune to criticism given the circumstances. But I did have issues with it.

Outside of the grief aspects, there are some genuinely interested additions to this world of the MCU. But I just felt the execution didn't make them that exciting or give me the urge to show investment.

Plus, the duration did not help either. It's over 2hrs 30mins and it has no right to be that long. The length did not help with the pacing and it therefore lacked a bit of energy for me.

In regards to the performances, they were pretty good overall. With their star sadly no longer with us, this felt more like an ensemble piece. The standout for me turned out to be Angela Bassett. Her presence and power was noticeable and it certainly helped elevate everyone else's game.
While Letita Wright has been thrown in at the deep end, she did a solid job with all the content she was given.
Danai Gurira and Winston Duke were good value in their roles once again.
There were some promising new faces in the form of Tenoch Huerta and Dominique Thorne. While I didn't feel they were given much that interesting to deal with, I'm up for seeing more of them.

One big surprise for me was the quality of the visual effects. The designs were eye-catching. But I noticed a few ropey moments that didn't feel seamless with the live action.
The costume design was of a high quality as expected and the general look of it was pleasing.

I will agree that it was an emotional watch and they did a decent job with what they had to deal with.
But I genuinely felt this was one of the weaker entries in the franchise. The duration does make it lag, a lot of the content felt empty and even had me thinking if anything of any significance happened in the story.

I know they were in a tricky situation. So I applaud the approach they went for and they managed to put something out there in the end. There is enough entertainment to be had and the emotion of the story is really well put together for me to give it a respectable rating.
But I still left feeling somewhat short-changed.

Lastly, I must mention that there was just a mid-credits scene. But nothing more then that. I think given this was a glorified tribute to Boseman, it felt right to not have anything to turn our attention away from the film itself 

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment