Tuesday 8 November 2022

Review: On The Divide

The hotly debated topic of abortion in America is certainly one that has two passionate sides.


So when I heard this documentary was only about this, but set in the most southernly part of Texas, I knew we had the potential of encountering some large characters.


What we got in the end was partly what I expected and partly not.


It contains those expected people that complain about everything and try and avoid at all cost. But a lot of people they focused on is what gave the film its weight.

Hearing their personal stories outside of the argument made for an interesting watch of life in that area as well as the struggles of personal experiences which lead to them being involved in the debate


I would have liked a deeper look on the main topic from a political point of view to give it more scope. But saying that, it would probably have lost focus of the local community vibe it has.


This was a perfectly functional documentary that gave you a solid insight into that part of the world and where it currently stands.


I liked that it never felt biased towards one side and gave enough of a flavour on each sides stance on the topic and how they behave in promoting their beliefs.


But I think what made it work for me were the personal stories and their respective journey's. That for me was the main cog of the film with the topic covered as more of a backdrop.


Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment