Sunday 13 November 2022

Review: Corsage

Period dramas usually have an unexpected look and structure to it.

With this one however, we have a character that goes against the era she was born in as well as the duty that she has been given.

That mix of tradition and revolt are there in both of the lead character and certain style choices. There is a modern careless attitude to society in the tone and it has comedic and dramatic results.
The mix of those tones work for the most part and the timing of the release is right as well.

I don't think many including myself will be aware of the historical figure at the centre of this story. But Vicky Krieps'performance certainly will make you want to know more. I remember first seeing Krieps in 'Phantom Thread' and she had immense talent. The way she can control a screen shows experience beyond her years and the portrayal of a woman out of time fits into the drive of the films message.
It was nice to see Colin Morgan have a role this as well as mentions of particular famous figure that paved the way for the technology of the moving picture.

It's beautifully shot, the costumes are pleasing to the eye and are pretty much given their own sub-plot.

The only gripe I had was some of the purposeful glitches in the production design. There were several modern additions that were noticeable and almost took me out of the film as well. But considering that was the whole point of them. I'm a bit unsure that style choice.

In the end, I had mixed feelings with this one. The story of this historical figure is interesting, Krieps' performance is great and the style is conflicting for me but will work well with others.
The small modern additions for me felt like both a purposeful rebellion against the traditional period drama aesthetic. But it also felt like a hint at the audience that this person was ahead of their time.

It looks great, the performances are strong and it's interesting to see the story develop. But I didn't warm to the style choices. I may do over time. But for now, I'm on the fence with that aspect.
 
Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment