Monday 14 November 2022

Review: Holy Spider

Films from Iran or featuring stories from the same country have grown exponentially in the film industry over the last several years.

The majority have been pretty serious drama's about the tough life in this part of the world. This one is more of a crime drama that is based on a true story.

I did notice that director Ali Abbas was at the helm, who did 'Border'. While that was a strange and weirdly compelling fantasy drama, this latest project was a bit more straightforward.

I enjoyed the opening and how certain pieces of the story were being set-up and hinting as to where it could end up.

But it turns out that's where the film peaked for me. It was starting to feel noticeably ploddy in its development and pacing.
Then by the final act, I was starting to lose interest in parts of the story to be brutally honest. It was just doing the basics to keep moving along with a script that became more and more uninspiring.
I wasn't believing in what I was seeing and the quality in storytelling dropped in my view.

One positive that keeps a lot stable is the leading the performance by Zar Amir-Ebrahimi. I believed in her character and her expressions gave a natural confidence.

I also enjoyed how it wasn't afraid of showing the violence and brutality. It gave real tension and the foundation needed to entice you into the story.

As well as the script and story I mentioned earlier, there were some other particular gripes I had. I wasn't into the idea that they made the antagonist clumsy. Plus, some decisions made in the final act felt strange and never fully explained. Those issues just downgraded the stakes for me.
After that, I was more or less taken out of the story and just saw actors rather than characters.

Even with the negatives, it remains a perfectly functional film. However, I did feel somewhat disappointed by it considering the story used and people involved.
It based on a true story that is interesting and it will definitely make you want to know more.
But it felt plain in its narrative and gradually weak in its script.

Thankfully, there's enough tension and brutality to do the content justice and Amir-Ebrahimi's performance is pretty good and kept me invested.

It's passable enough to recommend. But I was expecting more.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment