Thursday 10 November 2022

Review: Unicorn Wars

It's not often when you see a film that you just weren't prepared for.

This one is certainly one. It's strange that it's initial vibe was closer to a black comedy. Then it decided to be serious with its ideas and almost get philosophical. It also seemed to take pleasure in its gruesome violence which may put off some viewers  It was strange at first. But I think them being fully on board with this creation shifted the tone in an effective way.
I did have an inkling as to how it would end and it managed to do exactly what I thought. That's always comforting as it certainly makes me feel like that I'm on the directors wavelength.
Throughout the film, I was seeing influences of Princess Mononoke, Full Metal Jacket, Bambi and 300. Those are the type of combinations that shouldn't even really be thought about and yet here we are.

I think what made it work for me the most was the mix of animation styles used. The colour palette is also very vibrant to the point where it's almost like you're in a fever dream. But I did notice the constant use of purple in every scene.

The whole thing ended up being weirdly captivating. The number of animation styles on show was great to see, the commitment to its ideas was much appreciated and it's themes of the horror of war, our ignorance with nature and competitive siblings were well presented.

I certainly won't be forgetting this one anytime soon.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment