Sunday 13 November 2022

Review: Sick Of Myself

For someone, narcissism has been a theme that I have always been interested portrayed on film.

One that I always love watching is the psychological horror 'The Neon Demon' that uses narcissism fairly effectively to levels of a fairy tale like structure.

With this one, it went to levels I never thought would be attempted.

Early on, I could tell that it was being done for comedic effort. Once I realised that, I just sat back and enjoyed how far they were going to go with this idea.
While it's never afraid to go overboard, the underlying theme of mental health is also covered well to give the story some layers.

The performance of lead Kristine Kujath Thorp. The look of needing that much attention felt very natural to her and pulled it off perfectly as the lead.
The support from debutant Eirik Saether worked well as well, especially in the first act. His chemistry with Thorp built the foundations of the story as well as Thorp's story arch.

I must also give props to the make-up team as one aspect of the story does require effective prosthetics and they did a strong job with that.

If you can suspend enough of your belief, you'll have a blast watching this.

I had an unexpected amount of fun with this one. The story is totally ridiculous and takes the narcissism theme to the extreme and the brutal.
I found it consistently funny with some sharp editing to keep at a fluid pace. There are times where it does overstay its welcome. But it plays around with its themes well and has enough depth for me to give it a strong rating.

This is a film that challenges what situations can be made into a comedic situation and for me it worked really well.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment