Monday 21 November 2022

Review: Loving Highsmith

While I was aware of the name Patricia Highsmith and the industry she was part of. I didn't know anything else about her.

This film documentary certainly gave me a solid insight into the person as well as made he realise how many iconic films are from her own novels.

There is a solid flow to it, and it moves back and forth with its archive and interviews seamlessly.

I will say that it is broad in its approach which might not appeal to the hardcore fans that know every inch of her life. But there is nothing wrong with playing to the biggest audience possible and I think this will a solid crowd-pleaser. It's light in its tone and like the title, it is more of an appreciation of the subject rather than being a thorough study into what we don't know.

This is a nicely made straightforward documentary. It has a nice mix of content that will give more to general fans of the subject as well as introduce this person to non-fans.

Both the archive footage and interviewees were engrossing, and it kept me interested throughout.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment