Friday 11 November 2022

Review: Myanmar Diaries

It's not often that a making a film is such an achievement that literally everyone involved is not credited in the film to protect their identities. That's the situation we're in for this one.


I'll admit that I knew very little about the Myanmar military coup. But I was aware there are big conflicts happening in several South East Asian countries right now.


There are some powerful moments captured on film here to show how resistant the public are being to these current events. There are also some accompanied symbolic and poetic reconstructions of particular people's stories.


But for a documentary lasting around 70 mins, I didn't feel we got enough content worthy of a film.


I admit it's a harsh criticism and while I felt it was lacking in fundamental elements of a film documentary, what they managed to get out there still deserves recognition.


The footage and reconstructions explained the situation enough to give you an idea of what's happening and it makes you want to know more.


I'm not sure if it needed to be a film though. It would have done better as a TV special I reckon as it would get the word across the better. An important piece nonetheless.


Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment