Monday 25 March 2013

Review: Brave

Amazingly this is only the third Disney Pixar film I have seen at the cinema. The others were Toy Story on my 7th birthday which was also my first ever film to see at a cinema, and the other was The Incredibles. Despite that, I have many in my top 100 films of all-time and had high hopes for this one as I have never been disappointed with Pixar. 

Overall, I was not disappointed. I was very satisfied with it, but it was one of the few Pixar films that lacked that bit of sparkle that touched so many hearts with others such as the Toy Story trilogy, Wall.E, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo and many more. But don't worry, I am not saying it was bad because I liked it, had fun with it and will happily buy it on DVD. It just did not give the impact that it with some of the others. The only other Pixar that I got a worse feeling from Brave was Cars 2. 

The digital artwork looked great and I hope that promotes the country of Scotland a lot over the next year as I am sure tourist numbers will rise because of this. I enjoyed the top voice-overs by numerous Scottish and British actors and actresses. I loved the magic involved and at times was creepy. One thing that I was feeling disappointed with, was the lack of laughs and the hidden jokes for the adults to enjoy which you usually get from Pixar. But I hope they did that on purpose to make sure they keep with the main theme, which if that was the case was a decent move as the moments with the main characters was quite touching especially at the ending. 

Compared to many other animated family films, this is one of the better ones, and I hope Pixar will be the frontier of animated family films for years to come. They already have announced plans for 6 more films up to 2017 that include a prequel to Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo 2. So it looks like we can be in store for a few more Pixar classics. 

Oh and I have to mention the usual short film before the main feature film that Pixar do. It was absolutely brilliant, very clever and touching. Keep 'em coming.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment