Monday 25 March 2013

Review: Skyfall

Only the second Bond film I have seen on the big screen. The first was actually the first film I saw at my now current local cinema. Unfortunately, it was Die Another Day which I thought was o.k, but nothing special even by Bond standards. 

Going into this, I was hoping for a good Bond as it was celebrating its 50th anniversary. So the pressure was certainly on for it to be a success, or else the franchise could slowly lose touch with a new generation of film goers. Thankfully, it didn't. A great opening sequence that will get everyone's attention and the brilliant opening titles to the theme by Adele. 

I liked the idea that had with Bond in the film with very clever references to the older films. This is probably the mos character study we have seen in a Bond film. For the ending, at first it started to feel like Home Alone. But I still got why they went there and it was still enjoyable. But I expected something better. 


What I really liked was the characters. Daniel Craig was great as usual, Judi Dench was the star of the show for me and Javier Bardem was an interesting villain that seemed to pull it off. 
Overall, there was a hint of the Christopher Nolan style of movie-making which I think these days work. It was definitely one of the better Bonds and yet it had the feel of the old Bond's. It was action packed, it had a lot of laughs and the storyline was fitting for how Bond should be nowadays. Everyone should see it and I am glad Bond is back being cool after the disappointment of Quantum Of Solace.


Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment