Monday 25 March 2013

What has happened since my love for movie watching

Like I said in my previous post, I have always loved movies. But for just over the last year now, I have been watching A LOT of movies. I reckon I have watched over 1,000 movies for the first time ever. I mainly watch movies that are schedule to go out on TV, but I do occasionally go out and buy DVD's. I am mainly buying DVD's of films that I have seen and love, because I have wanted to own my favorite films and now that I can always count on them whenever I'm bored. I am also a big fan of lists and stats, so it was only a matter of time before I make a list of films that I consider to be the best and worst I have ever seen. When rating a movie, I know some people's favorite movies are ones they can watch again and again. Some of my favorites are ones I can watch again and again, but I just look for a film that amazes me, not just in presentation of the film, but also the technical merit, the dialogue and the music which I have a big love for. Since doing these lists, I have looked at movies in a different way. At times, I feel more critical, but I also respect people within the movie business a lot more. I have been more adventurous in exploring different types of films and found some absolute gems that are now high up in my top-100 of all-time. One great example is a Japanese company called Studio Ghibli and director Hayao Miyazaki. This director does animated films and it is one of the few foreign movie companies that has been greatly appreciated in the western world. So much so, that Disney endorsed these films and made dubbed versions of them to make more appealing to places like America and Great Britain. I have experienced the Western genre, because I was never brought up by them as they were never popular compared to the 1950's and 60's. I have caught up on a lot of black & white films, and I have encountered many actors and actresses that were at their peak back in the day such as Charlton Heston, John Wayne, Yul Brynner, Humphrey Bogart and my new favorite actress of all-time, Katharine Hepburn. I hope to continue finding more masterpieces and experiences some wonders this world has created.

No comments:

Post a Comment