Monday 25 March 2013

Review: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey


A film I had huge expectations for sa I consider The Lord Of The Rings as the perfect trilogy. Peter Jackson was back directing, so I was expecting another 3 hour epic. 
One thing that did worry me was that the book was pretty short and there were going to be 3 films. So it seemed for all three to be a success, Jackson would drag this out in the style Jackson is well known for pulling off. 

Thankfully, I absolutely loved it. It was great coming back to Middle Earth, but it was more light-hearted which is not necessarily a bad thing. The book is supposed to be aimed for kids, so we were supposed to be expecting more laughs then bloody battles and a lot of dark moments. 


The performances were top notch. Martin Freeman was a great addition as the younger Bilbo Baggins. The returning cast were as great as they were in LOTR. I was impressed by Richard Armitage as Thorin. I forgot how great his voice is and it was a hell of a presence. 

Technically, it was superb and they will surely get some Oscar nominations and maybe win some. One thing I absolutely adored was the theme in the end credits. Such a beautiful song that I will never get bored with. 

Overall, it was a terrific film that was well paced and was another rip-roaring success by Peter Jackson. It showed us another side of Middle Earth. 
Andy Serkis stole the show for me, even though he wasn't in it for very long. He is someone who should deserve more success then he already has for his performances. The only thing that is worrying me is where the film stopped in comparison to the book. It is going to be interesting to see how Jackson makes two more films out of the rest of the book.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment