Monday 25 March 2013

Review: Les Miserables


My first film of 2013 (even though it is officially a 2012 film) and what a film it was. I had never seen it on stage or seen any of many previous versions of it, but I knew this was a big deal to a lot of people. Another thing that tempted me was the director being Tom Hooper who did the brilliant 'The King's Speech'. 
I thought it was the best musical film I've seen since The Lion King and that shows how good it was. I wasn't expecting it to be singing throughout, so that's your warning if you don't like constant singing. The only film I have seen do that was Joel Schumacher's 'The Phantom Of The Opera' which was also great. 


Anne Hathaway was obviously the star of the show and should win the Oscar for best supporting actress. Hugh Jackman was terrific and should at least get an Oscar nomination. Sacha Baren Cohen was a great scene stealer and gave the film a nice bit of comedy too avoid making it too serious. I know a lot of people did not like Russell Crowe's singing, but what were you expecting? I wasn't expecting much from him, and I thought he was better then I expected and I thought he contributed well to the film. 


From the powerful opening scene to the up-lifting final song, the whole thing was a complete 'tour de-force' and was a joy to watch. Tom Hooper has become to a terrific director and I am glad he is British. It is the first film I would consider a definite Oscar contender and it is even great hope for 2013 already.


Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment