Saturday 16 November 2019

Review: The Candidate

Any political thriller always has the foundations of an exciting watch. Scandals in politics always seem to attract an audience as I guess subconsciously audiences like seeing people in high power have a fall from grace and drop down to their level.


While this one doesn't quite do that. There was still a story that you can definitely into.


That being said, it took a while for the film to actually explain itself and what the story was about. The images and dialogue might be suggesting to us where we're heading. But it didn't do it that much in my opinion. I did notice a lot of hand-held camerawork which looked really effective and it reminded of a more polished style of iconic Danish film Festen.


Once the story started to present itself, it was a pretty solid political thriller. It was developing nicely. There were a lot of characters to keep up with and I felt the film didn't present them well enough to tell each one apart.
There were however a couple of great set-pieces in the second half including a long one-take sequence and very creative car chase.
As for the ending, a part of me liked the ending being left open. But the other part of me didn't feel it deserved to end that way.


The lead played by Antonio De La Torre I felt was very believable and carried the film well. You could feel his characters passion, arrogance and natural ability within the profession that he is apart of. His style ramped up the pacing of the film quite well and made you feel the urgency.
The rest of the cast were all perfectly fine but nothing exceptional.
There was one memorable sequence from supporting actor Luis Zahera which got a couple of laughs from me and is one of the best comedic moments of the film.


Despite the opening act and other aspects feeling confusing for me, I think it was pretty enjoyable. In terms of the structure, it presented this subgenre in a different way which was somewhat refreshing. There were some nice moments in the second half that made it a tense experience.
However, there was definitely room for improvement. I think if maybe they were a bit more thorough in their content, I think it would've enhanced every aspect.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment