Monday 18 November 2019

Review: Matthias & Maxime

I'm usually unsure about a new Xavier Dolan film. They're sometimes good but also disappointing at the same time due to the high critical praise it received. But there are some that actually live up to the hype.

The opening felt really strong. I was enjoying the banter between the group of characters and the jokes they were playing on each other.
Then there was a portion of the film while it was mildly interesting, I don't think shifted the story further that much.
The rest of the film seemed to develop at a satisfactory pace with some fine moments.
The ending felt very conflicting to me as one scene would do one thing to inflict one of the main characters and then the complete opposite happens in the next scene as if the previous one never existed.

The performances were good overall by the entire cast. It was interesting Dolan himself play one of the main characters as he has did in the past and it was great seeing him back in front of the camera. His talents never cease to amaze us as he did a good job.

While I did mention about those conflicted moments, I thought the whole thing was passable enough.
It developed nicely enough, the film-making was perfectly fine and the performances were solid all-round.
In terms of re-watchability, it's pretty low as there was little content that I would look back at anytime soon.

A part of me is disappointed, as I know Dolan has made some films that I've really liked. The others are what I'm feeling with this latest project. I would recommend it to hardcore fans of Dolan. As for everyone else, there are plenty of better films out there with similar themes and tone.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment