Sunday 10 November 2019

Review: Ordinary Love

I had heard a lot of initial buzz and anticipation when this film was being made aware. Mainly due to the fact of the accomplished people behind the camera and the high-calibre casting.

It certainly had the feeling of being one of the top British films for this year, and now that I've seen it, it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being that.

On paper, it sounds like a tear-jerking Oscar bait type film. But it ended up being more than that. What the screenplay and performances managed to us find charm and humor through a subject that is very hard to have viewing experience that makes you happy. Don't get me wrong, there are obvious moments that will be a tough watch, especially for people who can relate to it. But that optimistic vibe the film gives off certainly made me appreciate the other aspects to the story.

The one thing I liked about this the most was the chemistry between the leading characters brilliantly played by Liam Neeson and Lesley Manville. From the comical sly digs to each other, to the arguments, you can tell that they were a believable married couple who were deeply in love and would care for each other no matter at what cost. They were wonderful to watch together and easily the films biggest strength.

No real negatives to speak of. Everything was done to pretty good quality. So it's just a matter of personal taste, how impactful it was and the strength of my enjoyment on how this fairs in my top films if the year list.

I surprised by how much I enjoyed this. It was surreal that despite the subject of the film covering is a depressing one, I smiled for the majority of the runtime and laughed fairly regularly. The film somehow managed to make me assured and see the lighter side of what our main characters were experiencing. The strength in the writing and the performances made me have a thoroughly enjoyable experience despite on paper you would expect the complete opposite.
The wonderful chemistry from Neeson and Manville is worth the admission alone.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment