Thursday 21 November 2019

Review: House Of Hummingbird

Portraying teenage adolescence to film can be generation defining when done right. This is what director Bora Kim is looking for is this particular project.

While the tone is pretty sad and bleak, this felt like a refreshing take on the coming-of-age genre.
Having that mix of discovering life, the central character finding her place in this world, finding her true friends whilst coping with the struggles of life at home
I was interested as to why they chose 1994 as the time period and to use real-life events within this story. It does make me suggest that the director might have lived what we saw on screen and make the story semi-autobiographical. 

The cast overall were pretty solid. But this all about Park Ji-Hu's performance as the lead. Park showed wisdom far beyond her years. I found it very relatable and tough to watch at times as I and people I know have had similar experiences at that age. By the way she was directed, I could tell this was a deeply personal story.

I feel that if you liked last year's film Eighth Grade, then I feel you will be as affected by this similar story. But told from an Asian perspective.

For me, I got a lot out of this and found this to be a memorable watch. It was probably a bit too bleak for my personal taste and it didn't feel as impactful as previous films within this genre.
But it was still worth my time and while the tone and pacing might not work for a mainstream audience, certain demographics will love this.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment