Tuesday 19 November 2019

Review: Monsoon

A film that can have a powerful opening shot can really set the tone. This one was quite the sight. With this taking place in Vietnam, traffic in its major cities are utter chaos. Especially with the Birdseye choice in camera shot, it was quite a spectacular way to begin the film.

After that, it's a bit of slow-paced drama with two interesting stories involving one central character.
Both ended up being rather interesting. On one side, you've got a lost soul looking into his own past as well as his elders history. The other is more of a romantic one that for me could be interpreted in many ways.
While the actual stories was solidly developed and throughly engaging, the real attraction for me was the sights and sounds of Vietnam. It truly showed what a country Vietnam is and the potential it has.

The strength of the cinematography really made that country a strong and integral character to this film.

Some people may feel the ending will feel incomplete given that the duration is a snappy 80 mins. While I do kind of agree with that, you can still find meaning to the actual ending that still makes this a rewarding watch.

After knowing absolutely nothing about this film, I found this to be rather entertaining. The way the story was told and the characters being very watchable really made me want to more about the characters and background to this story.
Plus, Vietnam was filmed so well that it pushed this country up my list for places that I want to go and see.
The short duration did leave me wanting more and like I said earlier, a part of me felt that this finished incomplete.

There is a more satisfying ending in there. Include that, and you've got yourself a strong hidden gem.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment