Monday 18 November 2019

Review: White Snake

The Chinese film industry continues to grow and their animated films are certainly looking to develop as quickly as possible.

I remember seeing a very good Chinese animation a couple of years ago in the form of 'Big Fish & Begonia'. So I was curious to see what they've conjured up next.

The start look very promising which some striking imagery and a very pleasing animation voice that showcases some high-paced action that was very pleasing to the eye.
I was enjoying the animation and while the the story structure was something I'd seen, the execution of it was still making it very entertaining.

I was happy the animation style overall and I feel this could be the look Chinese animated films will have. Most of the background was very impressive. But while the design of the characters was perfectly fine, their movement at times looked dated. It was like watching an early Pixar film when I saw certain movements in the body or face. In this day an age, flaws like that in an animation will get picked on by many.


I rather enjoyed it on the whole. For the imagination, creativity, world-building, it was great to watch. Plus, the animation for the most part was very good.
As for the story. Again, the creativity was there in the dialogue in regards to the world-building. But there was something in the choice of story. Once it goes beyond the fantasy, a lot of it felt predictable. There was similarities in tone and vibe to American animations such as Shrek, The Little Mermaid and bits of Kung Fu Panda and Frozen. But this was done to a more simplified and uninspiring level.
I think this would be suitable family viewing and would be a nice insight for kids to check out some Chinese culture.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment