Wednesday 20 November 2019

Review: Synonyms

It's hard to know where to start with this one because I'm not sure what I just watched.

While I could eventually find a story in here, the style of Nadav Lapid was just not for me, pure and simple.

It felt it was being spontaneous for the sake of it whilst telling a very important story that I would have liked to have seen explored a lot more.
At first, I thought the film was going for a political satire or even a Mel Brooks style farce. By the end, I had no idea what it was trying to be. I just think the tone and vibe just did not suit me at all.

I have to give credit however to Tom Mercier who gave a very committed performance. You could feel the energy he gave to his character and you can appreciate that whether or not you end up liking the film or not.

While I clearly was not a fan of the film, there is content in here to be appreciated.
As mentioned before, Mercier's performance shows what a talent he is and the themes of national identity and finding your place in this world was there to be explored.
The end result just wasn't for me I'm afraid. I can see this finding an audience and maybe doing better over time. Maybe on multiple viewings my view will change? But for now, it didn't work.


Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment