Thursday 14 November 2019

Review: Invisible Life

Had no idea what to expect with this one, and I had quite the journey with this viewing experience.

The story opened up nicely by introducing our main characters well. Then once I realised what the main crux of the story was, I was definitely on board with this to see how it would go.

While I felt I was intrigued by the story, nothing was making me love this. It had a few moments in the second half. Then suddenly, a big development happeneded at the end that completely changed my entire summarisation of the film.


I was amazed at how this film managed to sneak up on me and give such a strong pay-off that quickly went from pretty good to really great so quickly.
The emotions running through me reminded me of similar feelings when seeing the end of The Lives Of Others and Cinema Paradiso.
It's not often that a film can do this to me. But it's a real treat as the pay-off is the first bit you remember when leaving your screening and you want a film to end on a really strong note.

I have to give big props to both female leads Julia Stockler and Carol Duarte for giving two very engaging characters. Their story arch's were very clear, well developed and the strength of their unity grabbed me the most that helped give meaning to the story.
Barbara Santos was a shining support as her development gave the story a nice subplot to get invested with.
While Antonio Fonseca did a good job in his role, I feel his character should have been more integral given that his decisions effected so much of the story.

With this being mainly about the performances and the writing, there's not many other aspects to speak of. I will say however, they did make good use of the Rio location with some great shots of its its architecture and night life.

It may have taken till the very end, but I ended up really liking this.
The story is a really sad one, but it's incredibly effective in its themes and the strength of the performances enhances that. The believable chemistry and power of family shown in their development made this extremely watchable.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment