Thursday 21 November 2019

Review: Atlantics

When I heard this was set in Senegal, I was intrigued to see this part of the world.
It's great seeing films like this to increase more awareness of countries like Senegal and put them into the spotlight.


As for the story, it felt a rather appropriate one. But the path they took was creative, ambitious and I feel they pulled it off for the most part.


As first it looked like it would be a Shakespearean romance drama. But then that eventually quashed as it went more Charles Dickens in fact with some added current topics that I have not seen often on film.


For me, this film was all about the strength of its ideas and the environment the story was playing out on.
The Senegalese coast definitely played its part. So I would say props to the cinematography for exploiting that.


The performances I don't think we're that exceptional. But they were pretty solid overall. Particular credit has to go to Mame Bineta Sane, who did a good job in the leading role. I hope to see all of the cast be put into further projects that get a big enough release to further push that awareness.


Only one negative to speak of. The main crux of the film did not feel fulfilled as I don't feel it never was fully explored.


But like I said, I admired the concept and the message the director went for. I thought it was pretty effective and it got my full attention once I got to grips with its story. It didn't quite feel like the total package as I feel there could have been a more thorough and satisfying final act. But what I got was a lot of potential from this cast and crew. Don't be surprised if their next project is an absolute showstopper.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment