Friday 5 November 2021

Review: Azor

A directorial debut for a feature film is never an easy thing.

Most of the time, it is usually something small that doesn't get much notice. But you do get the odd debut that gets a lot of heads turning.

Sadly, I cannot say the same for the debut of Andreas Fontana.

While a lot of critics have highly praised this for being unnerving and effectively subtle, this got nothing out of me.
I will agree it was subtle in every way and had that at times that something dark was brooding behind the surface of what our characters were saying and behaving.

But, it ended up being a lot of nothing for me. It's definitely not a bad film. It looks fine, some of the locations used were pleasing to look at, there were some nice camerawork and the costume design fitted the vibe and time period well.

So with the technical side saving this film to a point, I cannot give this a pass.
There were hints of the story starting to break out. But when the reveal of this film is pretty portraying a definition of the title, disappointed was an understatement. 
I got very little from this sadly and I can see many going 'That's it?' by the time the credits roll.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment