Thursday 11 November 2021

Review: The Story Of Film: A New Generation

This is not your typical current film documentary style. The more lecture approach isn't seen that often, and I personally feel it would some spectacular content for it to compete with the more successful film documentaries.

This one does have a promising start. From the topics covered, to the examples used that feel relatable to me. I was certainly intrigued for what was being said.

But the longer it went on, the more the style felt monotonous and borderline tiresome. It is 2hrs 40mins long, and it did warrant for me by the end.

Plus, some of what being said felt almost pretentious on the levels of fellow film documentary 'Room 237'.

Despite its issues, I thought this was solid overall and interesting up to a point. As mentioned, I liked some of the films that they used to expand on their intros to each section and the topics covered will create great moments of discussion afterwards.
But ultimately, I see this best used as a piece to show 'Media Studies' students on the evolution of film and showing certain techniques that are forever effective.

Rating: 7/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment