Thursday 18 November 2021

Review: Ghostbusters: Afterlife

While I don't hold the Ghostbusters franchise as high as the majority, I do agree they were fun films with good re-watchability.
I actually prefer Ghostbusters II and this was probably caused by me seeing the sequel before the original.

In a weird twist of fate, I didn't mind the all-female reboot. It felt like a Ghostbusters film for me, and it was passable entertainment.

For this latest installment, I was apprehensive more than excited as I just didn't feel confident it would capture the same magic or even do something interesting with the concept.

My fears were kind of met.

The first two acts are pretty solid. We have some engaging characters with interesting backstories and plenty of nostalgia to keep the fans happy.
The homage I was felt was overflowing before the final act and plot development kind of went out the window and decided to go full nostalgia.

Sometimes, they just weren't even trying and virtually did identical scenes from the original.

The only thing I felt they struggled to match, was the comedy. It's hard to match the writing of Ivan Reitman and style of Bill Murray and Harold Ramis. It did give me some chuckles. But sadly a few lead balloon moments.

While the fan service was a bit much for me, I was thankfully having fun with it. The pacing is rampant enough to make the action and dialogue flow nicely.

One big reason that made it fun was the performances by the young cast. I was happy to see McKenna Grace take the lead as I've always enjoyed her performances, ever since I first encountered her in the really good 'Gifted'.
Finn Wolfhard felt underused as I don't feel he was given enough development to be memorable.
Logan Kim was good comedic relief and Carrie Coin was serviceable support.
Paul Rudd I feel could have been better utilised as he was heavily featured in the marketing.

There are a numbers cameos in the final act. One was a very random and proper confused me. It involved a very minor sub plot that never went anywhere as soon as it got introduced.
Another cameo I was proud to notice as they are fairly unrecognisable.
The other cameos I don't really need to say as you should know who I'm referring to.

While I did have fun watching this, I was also somewhat disappointed by this. It relied too much on its nostalgia and went for a safe storyline that neither expanded the franchise nor diminished it.
I will say though they pay great tribute to a certain Ghostbuster.

So with that in mind, fans will obviously enjoy this as it just does everything that will make them remember why they enjoyed the 1984 original and sequel in 1989. If you're expecting a fine balance of the film being a standalone whilst paying homage, you will flat out not get that. It wouldn't surprise if they make a sequel and just give us Viggo The Carpathian, the pink slime and a moving Statue Of Liberty all over again.

There is a mid credits scene that both pay more homage and hint at where we're going next.

Rating: 7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment