Saturday 6 November 2021

Review: Last Night In Soho

The name Edgar Wright and nothing else is enough for me to check out his films.

Then when I heard some the cast involved, I was really excited to see what was in store.

I love Wright's style. The sharp editing, the style of comedy with running gags and the soundtrack being a character in itself. Ever since Shaun Of The Dead, he has given us some modern classics. However, after 'Baby Driver' for me being one of the most directed films I've ever seen, I was unsure where he would go next.

In a nutshell, I had an absolute blast watching this. The more it developed, the more it sucked me in and I was totally engrossed by it. The pacing never gives you time to take a breather and I was impressed how Wright and his team makes the audience both love and be scared of the time period used in its flashback sequences. It's nightmarish style made me feel stuck and that I could not get out of my chair.

The performances were great across the board. I'm a huge fan of Thomasin McKenzie and she was a brilliant lead in this. Great innocence and sympathy made her feel very relatable and her situation reminded me of my first year of University. Anya Taylor-Joy looked the part and was a perfect casting choice. That stone face style and stare she was giving made her feel almost robotic and haunting.

It was great seeing Matt Smith be given a lot of screen time. For someone who is more known for his TV work, I hope this performance will give him more big screen opportunities.
There were a couple of old faces that I had no idea were part of this. The first being 60's acting British icon Rita Tushingham.
I was not prepared to see her, and it got being smile out of me.
Also seeing the now late Diana Rigg was nice to see. Realising afterwards that this was her last ever role, it was a wonderful send off as she played a great supporting role.

Other notable appearances that I have to mention was the always great Terence Stamp, an almost recognisable Pauline McLynn (aka, Mrs Doyle from Father Ted) and the Phelps brothers from Harry Potter fame.

As expected, the production is of the highest order. The editing is as slick as ever and given the use of 60's Britain, the costumes are fantastic. The way Wright and his team made that particular time period look brilliant yet also terrifying the deeper the film goes perfectly enhanced the films themes of shattered dreams and how tough reality is.

This is another wonderful addition to Wright's back catalogue. It's thrilling, haunting, Thomasin McKenzie remains an acting goddess of her generation, and it pays great homage to the 60's, including British cinema at that time. This has something for everyone and has great re-watchability. I look forward to watching this again.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment