Sunday 14 November 2021

Review: Zahori

I don't often see films from Argentina. It is a country that does interest me and I make the most of any film from this part of the world that comes my way.

I felt this was a fairly enjoyable watch. I wasn't sure what to expect at first. But I got themes of isolation, breaking barriers and coming of age.

The performances across the board worked really well the tone of the film and have some standouts. Most notably, lead child actor Lara Tortosa. This is a very mature performance and she had a very natural screen presence that was very effective. This is made even better given the fact that this is their acting role of any kind.
Santos Curapil gave a memorable subtle performance. That feeling of loneliness was perfectly portrayed and became an unexpectedly memorable character.

From a technical side, I must commend the cinematography that made the most of its surroundings and the choice of soundtrack used to give the story a Western touch.

I don't have many gripes with it. It could have been a more impactful and slightly faster paced.

But other than that, I felt this was a solid coming-of-age story that turned the almost baron landscape into a dreamlike setting.

The performances are pretty good, and the child actors shine the most. It gives you a glimpse of isolated life in that part of the world and is given more of a spiritual vibe.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment