Saturday 13 November 2021

Review: Titane

Going into a film knowing that they won the Palme d'Or has me somewhat cautious. The variety of their winners have been really unpredictable. You could get something slow, arty and subtly vmeaningful. But you could also get something that is loud, relentless and totally bonkers.

For the most part, this strange film is more of the latter. The start really throws everything at the screen and sees what sticks. With the amount of shock factor involved, I wasn't sure if I was watching a Paul Verhoeven flick.

But despite the amount of brutality,  random set-pieces and random Cronenbergesque body horror I was seeing, there was something about it that had me emotionally invested.
There was a decent amount of effective comedy and whatever my view was going to be in the end, I was certainly not bored throughout.

In terms of performances, this film is all about Agathe Rousselle. It's a very physical performance and she dominated the screen from the very beginning and created quite a presence that fitted the vibe perfectly. It is hard to imagine that this is her first film. This has surely given her the building block of being in a major action blockbuster.
Her chemistry with Vincent London is what gave the emotional investment that this film needed to make it more than just brutal violence and body horror.
Thanks to these two, they made this film work for me.

What I got from it was showing multiple dysfunctional people learning to accept themselves for who they are and find their place in this world. It explores childhood trauma and the love mankind has had for machine.

It's shot beautifully by Ruben Impens, the soundtrack makes it fun and the practical effects were well constructed and utilised.

I'm still a bit unsure about this one. But it sparked a reaction out of me, in a way that may make it a bit of a cult film.
There's definitely an audience for it. But mainstream might not be one of them.

I admired it for its commitment in all aspects and it went for the big swings. It got enough for me to give it a pass via benefit of the doubt.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment