Wednesday 17 November 2021

Review: Lingui

I can now tick Chad off my list of productions from that country.

It's not often that I see African films and I still feel this part of the world is trying finding its own identity and style to the industry.

I hope to see this continent flourish as there's probably countless stories that the world deserve to know about.

For this one, it's covers topics that many are aware and has been covered in films before. But with the added customs of this country, I was intrigued to see how this would work.

It ends up being surprisingly straight forward and standardised in its execution. I wasn't sure if it was the directing, acting, writing or all three. But something was missing to give this something to stand out or at least be memorable.

What I did like was the look of it. The bright colour palette thanks to lovely costumes, nice mix of desert and jungle surroundings made this a pleasing film to look at.

Sadly, I had issues with almost every other aspect.

I wasn't sure if the acting was purposely subtle or I just wasn't buying it. Achouackh Abakar and Rihane Khalil Alio were solid for the most part. But I'm not sure if it was the directing or editing that seemed to make them feel amateurish.
The dialogue they were given wasn't great. It just felt as if they were given the necessary information to move the plot along without giving it any weight or emotion.
It started to become noticeable towards the end.

Also, a lot of the scenes felt abrupt and never gave the audience chance to get invested with it. So despite a promising start, the execution of the film seemed to be getting clunky and messy.

With all those issues, I sadly cannot give this a pass.
I hope all the people involved learn from this film and go on to make more impressive pieces of work. Despite the underdevelopment, lots of aspects have people with potential to go far in this industry.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment