Wednesday 10 November 2021

Review: The Hand Of God

I've had mixed feelings with Italian director Paolo Sorrentine so far.

While his films are beautifully shot, the tone doesn't always work for me. I really like 'Youth' eventually and I appreciated the look of 'The Great Beauty', but never getting into the story that much.

I was surprised to see his latest project grab my attention from the very beginning. The cheeky and Italian banter style of humour and the charismatic characters made me feel like I was at the most fun party.
That build very strong foundations and I was there enjoying the rest of the ride.

There is emotional drama in there as well with moved seamlessly from the comedy. There were a few random sequences that were a bit surreal at times and some I wasn't how to react at all.

But whenever I had those moments of confusion, the cinematography by Daria D'Antonio was always there to make it look amazing. It was that level of camerawork that saw every frame look like a painting.

I felt this very strong piece of work and easily the best I've seen of Sorrentino's works.
It's funny, emotional and has small amounts of surrealness. There are some great performances by this quirky ensemble cast. Filippo Scotti was a great lead and carried the film like an experienced pro. Seeing the film from his point of view painted a great picture of life in 80's Naples. The chemistry with Toni Servillo and Teresa Saponangelo was authentic, sweet and a treat to watch develop.
A few other mentions have to go to the incredibly sexy Luisa Rangieri and Betty Pedrazzi.

As mentioned, it's a feast for the eyes. Naples looks fantastic and if it doesn't tempt to want to see it for yourself, then there's something wrong with you.
As a complete package, this is an effective coming-of-age story with themes of family, love and loss that I would happily watch again.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment