Monday 8 November 2021

Review: Mothering Sunday

With a title like 'Mothering Sunday' and a stellar cast involved, I was preparing for something cheery. Boy was I wrong.

This was a lot sadder than I imagined. With themes such as the effects of grief during wartime in the background, it was hard to see what rout this was film going.

Despite the almost depressing tone, there was a lot to be moved by. The writing is strong by Alice Birch who makes great use of Graham Swift's source material. Plus the good performances, high-quality production and choice of location makes the imagery very pleasing.

Odessa Young gave a top notch breakthrough performance and carried the film well as the lead. Josh O'Connor gave great support and used his experience well. Also showing good support was Colin firth. That comforting presence he has in this was pleasing to see as was the always amazing Olivia Colman who made good use of her small amount of screen time.

The time period is on point and the country estate and village setting makes it look like a great place to live. The costumes fitted in perfectly with the backdrop both in the working class attire, to the elegant dresses and smart suits for the scenes involving the owners of the various estates.

There were the moments and scenes that I felt overstayed their welcome. But I think the well executed camerawork somewhat made up for that by still giving us something nice to look at.
Also, as mentioned the themes is was going for I felt didn't go into enough depth for me.

But in the end, I felt this was a moving piece of work. It's great to look at, the acting and writing work together really well and I got something I was not expecting.
I will be so pleased if this film launches Odessa Young into becoming a regular lead in her future projects as she deserves it after what I saw.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment