Friday 19 November 2021

Review: The Souvenir: Part II

I don't remember enjoying much of the first Souvenir to be brutally honest. I recall it being quite flat in its general vibe and strangely structured for me. But I know it found an audience and there is enough evidence to warrant a sequel out of it.

To my surprise, I really enjoyed Part II. I'm not sure what's happened that has won me over. But it's like almost every aspect has been given some life and colour.

Whilst things such as that bright hazy tint to its shots, smaller screen ratio and random pockets of music dropped in is still there, it felt as if they've been somewhat reinvented.

It feels like more chances were taken with this one. The content feels richer, the imagery feels more ambitious and certain sequences are quite gripping to listen to and the imagery is more adventurous.

The cast do a great job with the script given. Honor Swinton Byrne carries the film well. The way she explains her emotions through her face without saying anything is all you need.
Notable supporting performances came from Tilda Swinton and Richard Ayoade. Swinton is great as always. That country estate way of life oozes out of her character and it makes it pleasant to watch and hear.
As for Ayaode, you can tell he had fun with this role. I definitely don't remember his contribution from the first film. But this portrayal of demanding director was great to see. The eccentricness and energy he put into his character was the right amount this film needed.

The transformation between the two films is quite astonishing. In fact, the way they execute Part II means you don't even need to watch Part I to be fully invested in this.

This is a surprisingly gripping story about grief, moving on and also gives you a great insight into student filmmaking.
It's not for everyone as the style may alienate some demographics. But if you like your indie and arthouse films, you will agree that not a minute of this is wasted.

Props to director Joanna Hogg and her team for this installment. This won me over in the most dramatic way. I live being proved wrong, and this achieved it and then some.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment