Sunday 7 November 2021

Review: Fabian: Going To The Dogs

When you go into see a film that is close to three hours long, the film is already fighting an uphill challenge.

It took me a while to get used the narrative and editing style as it felt a bit chaotic and almost nonsensical.

But once it quietened down, I was finding a narrative that I could get invested with.
There is a number of subplots to get involved with as well. Most of them were fine. But some felt unnecessary. But I guess it was to give an idea of the time period.

Also, the high frame rate was off-putting for the most part. So with a long film having that many distractions didn't help.

I can see some enjoying the strangeness and unpredictable style. But for me, it was a all a bit much for a story that should be straight forward.

The main reason I wanted to check this out, was the main cast involved. I've liked what Tom Schilling and Albrecht Schuch has done in the past and I'm a big fan of Saskia Rosendahl.
While Schilling carried the film well and Such was solid, it was Rosendahl that for me stole the show.
As soon as she appeared on screen, all was well, and that's when the film started for me. I really hope she goes beyond German productions and gets casted in something more mainstream as she deserves to be discovered by a wider audience.

I felt that despite my issues with it, I still thought it was a decent watch. Schilling and Rosendahl kept my interest and their believable chemistry carried the film. The poor choice of ending did leave a bitter taste. But I thought the story was done well enough and I warmed to its unique style enough to give it a pass. Did it need to be close to three hours? No. But if it means more screen time for Schilling and Rosenthal, fair enough.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment