Friday 12 November 2021

Review: Memoria

Any film with Tilda Swinton as the lead is an instant attraction for me. Her screen presence is quite something and I cannot recall a bad performance she has ever made.

With the film also being billed as having Sci-Fi elements, I was excited to see what this has to offer.

Sadly, I left disappointed, confused and yet I remained intrigued.

The film contains a lot scenes that essentially shows nothing happening. Whether it's the style of the director, or those lingering shots are meant to say something, it felt unnecessary for the most part.
The most interesting aspect of the story did make those lengthy parts have me pretty tense that something dramatic was about to happen. But the longer the film went, the less interested I became.

It does start with some promise. There are some solid set-pieces that pose potential ideas and topics that will be explored. But by the end, it lost me.

I thought Swinton did a solid job with what she was given. It was a convincing performance that certainly made me feel that there is something there in this story. But unfortunately, I couldn't quite grasp it.

I can see certain critics going nuts for this. But I think my feelings are what I I hear from praised art installation pieces where it is liked despite not knowing what it is saying to you at all.

Liking something for the sake of it being strange is not for me I'm afraid.

I will praise it for its cinematography, sound design and Swinton's performance. But I cannot give it a pass I'm afraid.

It was only until after seeing it, that I realised that director Apichatpong Weerasethakul was the same director who did 'Uncle Boonemee Who Can Recall His Past Lives'. If I had known about this going into it, then it is possible I may have been a bit more lenient on certain aspects.

But with an unclear narrative, it was a tough watch. I hope over time I can find something in this film that will make this watchable. For now, I cannot recommend this.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment