Sunday 7 November 2021

Review: Eternals

We not only return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but get introduced to more characters. This time with a more cosmic background, which I feel is where Marvel are looking more towards in regards to expanding its franchise.

I was intrigued to see how this would go. Not just because of the material being used, but also the cast and production team involved.

I loved how real life history comes from certain characters involvement and how they are seen within that world. I also liked at how each member of this group has a particular skill to enhance human development.
Like for example, there's a storyteller, inventor, warrior and many others.

I felt I got enough introduction and depth to each character to be invested with and care for.
The dialogue was solid and a good amount of vintage Marvel comedic style to make this a consistently funny film, with also enough seriousness involved to deal with the stakes.
By the time the credits rolled, I felt pretty satisfied.

The ensemble cast I feel all did a good job. Richard Madden was a solid lead and shows how well he can act in both film and TV. I believed in his characters leadership qualities and had good chemistry with his colleagues.
Much like Madden, I liked what Gemma Chan gave to this film and I look forward to see how her character develop in future installments.
Angelina Jolie looked so assured as a bad-ass and was a big highlight. Her character's story arch reminded me a lot of when I first encountered Storm in the X-Men animated series.
Kamil Nanjiani was solid comedic relief and Lia McHugh gave us a character that I had fun watching. Have to mention Barry Keoghan, who I am a big fan of and did a good job in this.
Lastly, I have to mention the quick appearance of Syrian child actor Zain Al Rafeea who I saw in the brilliant 'Capernaim'. Great to see be part of a major blockbuster.

As usual, the visual effects are great and the cinematography from Ben Davis gave us such pleasing imagery.

Some of the film did feel mechanical and fitted into that generic MCU style. But despite me feeling it will turn off some cinema-goers, it never felt boring to me.

In the end, I rather enjoyed it. It was probably a bit too long. But I thought it moved a long and developed nicely and just made me more intrigued as to the end goal of the next era of Marvel films.

Seeing this gives me hope for the involvement of the X-Men within this franchise. The amount of screen-time I felt was enough for it work and I feel this is how they'll approach the introduction of that group.

I know some audiences will be expecting more Endgame quality features. But I feel the heads of Marve are forced to make phase four feel like phase one and build up those foundations once again. I liked what I saw and I remain excited for where they are going next.

There is a mid and post credits scene. The mid scene felt more on the cheesy side given what was involved. However, as I mentioned that Marvel look to be going more towards the cosmic side, I'm happy to embrace the strangeness and cheesiness.
As for the post-credits scene, the way they hinted this character felt forced by the studio executives rather than the director. So I'll only blame the studio than the film-maker for this. But it still has me excited for how this will work.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment